Re: [0.0] Re: [0.2] getting transactions to work

From: Thom Dyson <TDyson(at)sybex(dot)com>
To: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [0.0] Re: [0.2] getting transactions to work
Date: 2004-07-30 18:48:40
Lists: pgsql-php

Under PHP (or any cgi type of process), postgres sessions cannot cross
multiple html pages. This is neither a flaw in PHP nor postgres; it is a
fact that is database and language independent.

Each page submission, that is each php invocation, starts a session that is
closed when the php script is done. the stateless nature of HTTP is at the
heart of this. A web server sees each page request as a stand alone event,
with no relationship to any other request. The ability to do "sessions" is
the work around to this.

So, if you need to carry information from one web page to another , you
either have to write hidden values to the html page (a bad idea on sorts of
levels) or use session variables to that PHP/postgres can retain
information.

Thom Dyson
Director of Information Services
Sybex, Inc.