Postgresql vs. Mysql

From: tom(dot)kemp(at)philips(dot)com
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgresql vs. Mysql
Date: 2002-01-03 21:19:15
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi All,

I'm sure that this question gets asked a lot. Can someone reference me to good material on why one would choose one vs. another? I greatly appreciate it!

I am designing a database (first ever, after reading a couple of texts) for a company department that currently doesn't have one. I'm pretty comfortable with the correctness of the structure and have a script ready to build the database with SQL
commands. The table structure is such that it appears that many queries would be calling other sub-queries (functions?). Other than that, there is nothing special about the database. I plan to use php to interface the database server with the internal
web and will run it on an HPUX environment machine with an Apache web server.

Thanks for the help.

Tom