Performance of jdbc insert statements and select nextval

From: ralf(dot)baumhof(at)bgs-ag(dot)de
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Performance of jdbc insert statements and select nextval
Date: 2009-02-18 15:25:05
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

i found the following problem:

10000 inserts with pgadmin tool into one table (primary key bigserial) can
be done wihtin 3 seconds. If i perform the same job with jdbc this takes
13 seconds. The insert statement is prepared only once, the statement for
fetching the nextval also. If i omit the select nextval execution time
improves to 8 seconds. Can anybody tell me why jdbc is 3 to four times
slower than pgadmin? I am using Postgresql 8.2 and 8.3 Database server,
java 1.5 and 1.6 and i tried the drivers 8.2 and 8.3 in type 3 and type 4.
The execution times are always identical.

thanks, Ralf
BGS Beratungsgesellschaft
Software Systemplanung AG

Niederlassung Nord