Re: pg_dump table ordering bug [8.0.1]

From: "Gerard Krupa" <Gerard(dot)Krupa(at)marconi(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump table ordering bug [8.0.1]
Date: 2005-02-10 10:03:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Andreas Lange wrote :

> Hi!
>
> Our upgrade from 7.4.6 to 8.0.1 only had one small glitch. Two tables got
dumped in the wrong order
> (before their dependecies) and had to get their contents added manually
after the restore. I've atleast
> isolated the part where things go wrong.

I've experienced a similar problem with a data-only dump using 8.0.1's
pg_dump. It seems that the COPYs (or INSERTs) are generated in
alphabetical order of table name, ignoring foreign key contraints and
requiring the output to be post-processed. In a full dump of the database
the constraints are added after the data is inserted so there are no
problems. See the two attached dumps of the same database as an example.

I am running under HP-UX 11.11 on PA-RISC 2.0, (both 32- and 64-bit builds
tried) built using the native ANSI C compiler. All tests passed when
running 'make check'.

Gerard Krupa MBCS
Marconi Corporation

(See attached file: data-only.sql)(See attached file: full.sql)

Attachment Content-Type Size
data-only.sql application/octet-stream 521 bytes
full.sql application/octet-stream 2.0 KB