Re: 7.4 Press Release -- starting Draft #5

From: "Nick Fankhauser" <nickf(at)ontko(dot)com>
To: "elein" <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.4 Press Release -- starting Draft #5
Date: 2003-07-28 20:49:14
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> "Just as good as the big guys" makes us sound smaller and
> of minor interest.
> --elein

The punch is adding the statement "free". Otherwise you're correct- we're
just a moderate fish in a big pond. (Yawn.)

In an old InfoWorld column, Robert Lewis noted that "Less Filling, Tastes
Great" is an example of both a great mission statement and marketing hook.

Along the same lines, a good opening hook might be:

"An Enterprise-Level Database, Free."

I do both marketing and programming at our company. As a programmer, I'm
often tempted to go for the complete explanation that technical folks
demand. But everyone else in the world wants a single line that tells them
why they should bother with the rest. So while the rest of this discussion
is important for those that get past the top line, I suggest that the top
line be intriguing and purposely incomplete. Resist the temptation to answer
every question- questions are what we want to provoke.

-Nick