RE: 7.1 beta 3 Linux ODBC BEGIN Behaviour

From: László Tibor <ltibor(at)mail(dot)tiszanet(dot)hu>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: 7.1 beta 3 Linux ODBC BEGIN Behaviour
Date: 2001-02-09 11:02:37
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-odbc

> I found another slight behavior change with the Linux
> client ODBC library between 7.0.3 and the 7.1 beta 3
> release. We are running under Redhat 6.0.
>
> We have set the ODBC driver in autocommit off mode. With
> the 7.0.3 driver, a BEGIN was automatically issued
> before the driver encountered a INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE. With
> the 7.1 beta 3 ODBC driver, it now also issues a BEGIN when it
> encounters a SELECT.
>
> Is this the expected behavior under 7.1?

I think it can be. (We assumed this behavior a year ago.) Sometimes we
need transaction time in the beginning of a transaction. We can get it with
SELECT. Because the transaction can begin only with an update statement,
we must do a workaround - until now.

> I actually found the problem because our code does a number
> of queries against the database, and then issues a
> VACUUM ANALYZE. This stopped working with the 7.1 beta 3.

What the SQL specs say? Could this behavior an option in the driver?

Regards, Tibor

--
Tibor Laszlo
ltibor(at)mail(dot)tiszanet(dot)hu