RE: postgres crash. HELP

From: "Oscar Serrano" <oserra(at)fondos(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: postgres crash. HELP
Date: 2000-05-08 09:11:54
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I had a backup fortunately. I first had to make some pg_dump of some tables
that were not corrupted and restore them later.
I have postgres 6.5.3.
I didn't know about pg_upgrade. I will have to read about it.
Actually I have my dabatases open to every IP address, so anybody that
enters our web page, and visits some of our applets, the connect via JDBC to
our database. I think that during one of this connection, the postgres
crashed. I'm going to stop using JDBC.
Is there any known problem with the ODBC of the postgres?

> If you want to try the pg_upgrade method, make sure you have the latest
> pg_upgrade script (from 7.0RC5, current nightly snapshot, or direct from
> CVS server) --- previous versions are known to have problems in
> multi-user databases. Then, follow the man page's directions for
> pg_upgrade, except don't bother trying to make a "pg_dumpall -s" dump
> from your corrupted database; instead use your last good backup file
> as the input script for pg_upgrade.
>
> regards, tom lane

The problem was that I could not access the corrupted database for nothing.
Neither could I do a SELECT nor a pg_dump. The fields of the index were also
duplicated and that was generating more errors. I really think the data was
there but the system databases where corrupted.
Our schema don't change everyday so I'm going to do a backup of the system
tables every day.

Thank you very much.