Re: Issues regarding code license of ported code.

From: Richard Welty <rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issues regarding code license of ported code.
Date: 2004-09-18 15:08:43
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:30:45 -0300 "Francisco Figueiredo Jr." <fxjrlists(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br> wrote:
> Some time ago I received a patch to Npgsql to add support for large
> objects. The patch was mainly a port of the large object support code of
> jdbc.

> I'd like to know how I could integrate this code as Npgsql is licensed
> under LGPL.

> I mean, can the ported code be licensed under LGPL and keeping a note
> about being derivative work of your BSD code? Or can I just mix the two
> licenses? Or something else?

i would say that as the author and copyright holder of the code, you
can license it however you want. you are not obligated to release it
under only one license, you can, for example, provide a copy of the
same code under the BSD license if you so desire.

if someone else wrote the code, and holds the copyright, you can
take it up with them.

if there are dozens of authors, it gets harder. but it's important to remember
that the BSD license and the GPL/LGPL licenses are _licenses_,
supplements to copyright, and the copyright holder has the power to make
the choice about the license.

richard
--
Richard Welty rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net
Averill Park Networking 518-573-7592