Re: Queries sometimes take 1000 times the normal time

From: "Russell Garrett" <rg(at)tcslon(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Queries sometimes take 1000 times the normal time
Date: 2003-08-28 09:02:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

We have a somewhat similar situation - we're running a fairly constant, but
low priority, background load of about 70 selects and 40 inserts per second
(batched into fairly large transactions), and on top of that we're trying to
run time-sensitive queries for a web site (well two). I should emphasize
that this is low low priority - if a query is delayed by an hour here, it
doesn't matter.

The web site queries will jump up one or two orders of magnitude (I have
seen a normally 100ms query take in excess of 30 seconds) in duration at
seemingly random points. It's not always when the transactions are
committing, and it doesn't seem to be during checkpointing either. The same
thing happens with WAL switched off. It appears to happen the first time the
query runs after a while. If I run the same query immediately afterwards, it
will take the normal amount of time.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Russ Garrett