Re: [Bug] Logical Replication failing if the DateStyle is different in Publisher & Subscriber

From: Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Sadhuprasad Patro <b(dot)sadhu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Bug] Logical Replication failing if the DateStyle is different in Publisher & Subscriber
Date: 2021-10-22 17:37:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 at 00:55, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
>> Attach v5 patch. This patch set the datestyle, intervalstyle and
>> extra_float_digits parameters when we connect to publisher, this can
>> avoid the network round trips (compare with the first patch).
>
> You could make it a little less confusing by not insisting on a
> space in the datestyle. This should work fine:
>
> vals[i] = "-c datestyle=ISO,YMD -c intervalstyle=postgres extra_float_digits=3";

Oh. My apologies. I try this style before, but find it see "ISO," is not valid,
so I add backslash, but it seems like that is my environment doesn't cleanup.

Fixed.

> Also, I think some comments would be appropriate.

Add comments for it.

> I don't see any value whatsoever in the more complicated version
> of the patch. It's just more code to maintain and more things
> to go wrong. And not only at our level, but the DBA's too.

Agreed.

> What if the subscriber and publisher are of different PG versions
> and have different ideas of the valid values of these settings?

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Do you mean we should provide a choose for user
to set thoses parameters when establish logical replication?

--
Regrads,
Japin Li.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v6-fix-logical-replication-failing-when-in-different-datestyle.patch text/x-patch 4.1 KB