Re: Is there a reason _not_ to vacuum continuously?

From: "Matt Clark" <matt(at)ymogen(dot)net>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is there a reason _not_ to vacuum continuously?
Date: 2003-09-17 20:20:02
Lists: pgsql-performance

Yes, that makes sense. My worry is really the analyzes. I gather/imagine
that:

1) Indexes on fields that are essentially random gain little from being
analyzed.
2) Fields that increase monotonically with insertion order have a problem
with index growth in 7.2. There may be a performance issue connected with
this, although indexes on these fields also gain little from analysis. So
if I can't vacuum full I'm SOL anyway and should upgrade to 7.4.1 when
available?

Further data: When I run a vacuum analyze my app servers do see an increase
in response time from PG, even though the DB server is under no more
apparent load. I can only assume some kind of locking issue. Is that fair?