Re: eWeek Poll: Which database is most critical to your

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Neil Conway" <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: eWeek Poll: Which database is most critical to your
Date: 2002-02-27 06:50:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> According to MySQL: "The query cache is extremely useful in an
> environment where (some) tables don't change very often and you have a
> lot of identical queries. This is a typical situation for many web
> servers that use a lot of dynamic content."
>
> Would people agree with the MySQL guys on this? In particular, that this
> is a "typical situation" for many webapps?

Hmmm. We have a lot of repeated _parameterised_ queries, but the recurrence
of identical queries is quite small. It'd be an interesting thing to try
and measure.

> > Now, there are notions of "prepared statements" in many access APIs
> > that fit this description, and in fact the underlying capability exists
> > in the backend --- we've just not gotten around to building the
> > interfaces to tie it all together. *That* would be worth working on.
>
> Okay, I'll take a look at this...

This is the more general solution, compared to MySQL's query cache - and can
speed up paramaterised queries as well as identical queries...

Chris