Re: PosgreSQL hogging resources?

From: "Jeremy Smith" <jer(at)highboard(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PosgreSQL hogging resources?
Date: 2004-02-20 19:12:19
Lists: pgsql-admin

I agree that my site is a bit bloated, it has more than 2500 total queries,
but it is a bit more complex of an application that might be readily
apparent. For the curious, this is my site: http://www.xpertleagues.com.
But the issue is that with mysql, at my peak levels last year I had a server
load of 30+ (I know this is horrendous, I am looking into either upgrading
my P4 2.4gig 1gig ram server this year, or distributing across more than one
server) but the site itself never performed as slowly as it is now. And
amazingly considering the server load last year, the server never crashed.
But now I am actually getting complaints on the lagtime, and I only have one
league actively drafting, last year I had 70+ at peak.

I will look into some of the suggestions you have made, the problem is that
I can't do large scale optimization at the moment because I am still adding
features to the site. I just wonder if the best mode of attack would be
switching back to mysql until I have added all of the necessary features,
optimizing the queries and code there, and then switching back to pg at a
later date.

Jeremy