PosgreSQL hogging resources?

From: "Jeremy Smith" <jer(at)highboard(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PosgreSQL hogging resources?
Date: 2004-02-20 18:39:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have newly installed PostgreSQL onto my server, the server's main function
is to serve up a fantasy football site that has a tremendous number of
queries per page. Right now with very low traffic I am seeing a server load
of 2.0+. That got me a little concerned, so I looked at "top" and noticed
that postgres is taking anywhere from 60 - 100 percent of my CPU at any
given time. There are also 116 sleeping processes out of 123. This all
seems very bad, do you guys have any idea what might be causing it or how it
can be addressed? How do I go about cleaning out the sleeping processes?

Thanks alot,
Jeremy