Re: A progress page with PHP + PostgreSQL

From: "Jona" <jonanews(at)orioninformationservices(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A progress page with PHP + PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-12-16 10:05:59
Lists: pgsql-php

What you could do is utilize the php flush() function while your script is
looping
Please note however that although this function clears the internal output
buffer in PHP, it doesn't affect the output buffer in your webserver (if
such is used), neither does it prevent the user's browser from caching in
its input buffer (most browsers have an input buffer on 256 bytes)

There's a work around to the browser input however, something like the
following should do the trick if used as step 2) and 3) as it does both the
work and displays the progress bar.

<?php
// Connect to database
$rDBconn = pg_connect("user=XX pass=YY");

// Get lots and lots of data
$strSQL = "SELECT * FROM Huge_Tbl";
// Execute query
$res = pg_query($rDBconn, $strSQL);

// headline
// Append blank spaces to fill browsers input buffer
$sOut = $sOut . str_repeat(" ", 260 - strlen($sOut) );
// Display headline
echo $sOut;
// Flush PHP output buffer
flush();

// Loop through recordset
while($RS = pg_fetch_array($res) )
{
/*
Do your calculations with the current record
*/
// Progress bar
$sOut = "# ";
// Append blank spaces to fill browsers input buffer
$sOut = $sOut . str_repeat(" ", 260 - strlen($sOut) );
// Display next
echo $sOut;
// Flush PHP output buffer
flush();
}
?>

Of course this will only work if you return your recordset in chunks to PHP,
should you however utilize a PostGre function to do some heavy calculations
(and thus having all your work in the database) PHP making a progressbar is
a bit more tricky.
In this exampla you might want to consider counting the number of records
first so you can give the user an idea of how long
the progress actually is instead of simply showing progress.

Hope this helps

/Jona