Multibyte ODBC

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr'" <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
Cc: 'Hiroshi Inoue' <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Multibyte ODBC
Date: 2002-02-27 13:24:26
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-odbc

Hiroshi, please disregard my earlier email requesting a precompiled MB copy
of the driver - I found Eiji Tokuya's download.

I have now tried the following tests using my own compilation of the MB
driver and Eiji's:

1) Created a unicode database in 7.2/cygwin and loaded Jean-Michel's
Japanese test table.

2) Created a datasource, and added SET CLIENT_ENCODING='SJIS' to the connect
settings.

3) Linked the test table from Microsoft Access XP.

4) Using the Arial Unicode MS font, the data in Access looks like garbage.

5) Similar tests using the pgAdmin data grid yield the same results (as
expected 'cos it's VB).

I also copied Jean-Michel's test data into an html file so I could see what
it should look like. If I copy some Japanese chars into an Access table, it
works fine, however, if I copy them into the linked table, they get
converted to ????.

I was also getting the following message in the console:

NOTICE: utf_to_local: could not convert UTF-8 (0xc3a9). Ignored

Any ideas anyone?

Regards, Dave.