Rename sequence bug/feature

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Rename sequence bug/feature
Date: 2002-02-26 20:37:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I noticed in a post recently that it was possible to rename objects other
than tables in pg_class using ALTER TABLE RENAME. I've now implemented this
in pgAdmin II for views, sequences and indexes.

Today I've had cause to dump my test database and found a minor problem:

dumping database "helpdesk"...
pg_dump: query to get data of sequence "cat" returned name "dog"
pg_dump failed on helpdesk, exiting

This can be recreated easily:

helpdesk=# create sequence dog;
CREATE
helpdesk=# alter table dog rename to cat;
ALTER
helpdesk=# select sequence_name from cat;
sequence_name
dog
(1 row)

Regards, Dave.

(now wondering how many responses will say it is a bug and how many will say
a sequence is not a table and I shouldn't be doing that anyway :) )