Re: Two Versions of PostgreSQL Installed - How to uninstall one particular version

From: "Wang, Mary Y" <mary(dot)y(dot)wang(at)boeing(dot)com>
To: "A(dot) Kretschmer" <andreas(dot)kretschmer(at)schollglas(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Two Versions of PostgreSQL Installed - How to uninstall one particular version
Date: 2010-02-26 07:26:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks Andreas for the info. I'm working on a development server right now, and currently I don't have any data loaded yet. As matter of fact, I was trying to load the database data from a dump file that generated by "pg_dump".
Here is the thing:
I've a /usr/bin/initdb -> this is probably from version 7.3 and other postgres related executable files.
I've a /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -> this is probably from version 8.3.8. I think all the postgres related executable files are located in this directory. I like this organization much better in 8.3.8.
My question is what files should I delete from /usr/bin directory? Is there an automatic way to uninstall a particular version? I want to delete the 7.3 version and don't want to have multiple versions of postgres running on the same server.
If there is not an automatic way, then I can probably remove files like initdb, dropdb, createdb, psql and etc from the /usr/bin directory.
Or may be just specify the path when I run the initdb command "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb" (other wise it would use /usr/bin/initdb)

Any thoughts?
Mary