Two Versions of PostgreSQL Installed - How to uninstall one particular version

From: "Wang, Mary Y" <mary(dot)y(dot)wang(at)boeing(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Two Versions of PostgreSQL Installed - How to uninstall one particular version
Date: 2010-02-26 06:44:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I got this error:
"-bash-2.05b$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl start
server starting
-bash-2.05b$ FATAL: database files are incompatible with server
DETAIL: The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 7.3, which is not compatible with this version 8.3.8."

I think I must have two versions of Postgres installed. How do I uninstall the 7.3 version? Do I need to do a manual uninstall by removing Postgres related files from /usr/bin and etc? Or is there an automatic way? The problem is that I'm unclear what files need to be removed. I think might also need to delete a file in the /etc/init.d directory.

I'm running on RHEL 3.9.

Thanks
Mary