Re: Additional Help Desired in Application Port to PostgreSQL

From: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
Cc: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Additional Help Desired in Application Port to PostgreSQL
Date: 2006-07-21 19:42:19
Lists: pdxpug

On Jul 21, 2006, at 12:11, Rich Shepard wrote:

> install/xrms-schema.xml:293: <field
> name="account_status_record_status" type="C" size="1">
> install/.#xrms-schema.xml.1.18:293: <field
> name="account_status_record_status" type="C" size="1">
>
> Notice that it's defined (last two lines) with quotes, but used
> either
> without quotes or (in delete.php) with single quotes.

Well, unless they have a dumb XML parser, those quotation marks won't
be in the SQL schema. Does \d account_status_record_status show the
quotation marks? But yeah, the use of single quotes for identifiers
is valid in MySQL but not in PostgreSQL, as you note.

> If I'm correct that this is a problem, I guess that I'll start
> working my
> way through all table and field names and make sure they're not quoted

Sounds about right. But I'd try to copy a query into psql to make
sure that it really doesn't work, first, just to be positive before
you spend all that time!

Best,

David