Posting Request for a Postgres Guru

From: "Greg Vargas" <gvargas(at)accolo(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Posting Request for a Postgres Guru
Date: 2008-06-18 04:17:37
Lists: pgsql-jobs

Good evening:

I would appreciate your assistance in posting the follow job
announcement to the PostgreSQL job list:

Postgres Guru Needed to Propel Fast-Growing Company to the Next Level!

Job Id: WTHT-PSDBA

WhiteHat Security offers you an amazing opportunity to leverage your
PostgreSQL expertise as our Database Administrator. A pivotal member of
our team, you will work with a rapidly expanding multi-terabyte Postgres
database, and guide us as we move from a centralized to decentralized
environment. In this fast-paced, high-transaction setting, you will be
constantly challenged as you tune and optimize our databases, ensuring
that they operate at peak performance, and you will solve our most
important storage issues including how best to distribute co-location
facilities to guarantee optimal disaster recovery. The career-defining
opportunity to work with a company truly at the bleeding edge of
Postgres database management has presented itself. Go for it.

WhiteHat Security was founded to provide a comprehensive solution to the
growing problem of website security and has quickly become a leading
provider of website security services. WhiteHat develops comprehensive,
easy-to-use, cost-effective solutions that enable companies to secure
valuable customer data, meet federal compliance standards, and maintain
customer confidence. Our team has worked at companies such as Symantec,
Verisign, Tripwire, and Yahoo!, and WhiteHat executives are frequent
speakers at security industry events such as ISSA, BlackHat, ISACA and
more. We are growing at an impressive pace, and we are the right place
for bright, creative, energetic people looking to get in on the ground
floor of a fantastic opportunity. Find out more about WhiteHat and why
we're so good at what we do: www.whitehatsec.com

As our Postgres Database Administrator based in our Santa Clara,
California headquarters, your primary mission will be to manage and
ensure the availability and performance of our database infrastructure.
In this role, you will partner with our developers to come up with
solutions to problems that often challenge the open-source environment,
using your keen troubleshooting ability and knowledge of cutting-edge
technology. Your solid command of PostgreSQL software will be put to the
test as you analyze its interactions with both OS and hardware (you will
work with Postgres 100% of the time). Your ability to extract and
comprehend both I/O statistics (along with the underlying hardware
characteristics) will be critical, as you will be counted on to
recommend hardware upgrades and purchases. In addition, your
comprehension of PostgreSQL's own I/O stats will allow you to quickly
zoom in on any query bottlenecks and architectural flaws. You can count
on utilizing your rock-solid scripting experience using Perl, SQL
(Python and C a big plus) to create complex scripts and tools for use in
bridging any gaps in our database. Your comfort using PgFouine for
performance profiling and query playback for QA environments, coupled
with your ability to read query planner analysis and adjust query
planner parameters to optimize/help planner decisions will really set
you apart from the crowd. Finally, your understanding of general
scalability issues of horizontal and vertical partitioning, as well as
the issues involved with using database proxying, will allow you to dive
right in and quickly get to work. With all that will be thrown your way,
your sense of humor can't fail you, and we will make sure you get the
support you need to assure your continued success in a role that is,
admittedly, not for the faint of heart. But you're up for this challenge
-- aren't you?

To apply for this position or refer someone you know, please use our
online interview system managed by Accolo:

http://jobs.accolo.com/14199

Once you have completed the interview, your information will be
forwarded to the hiring authority for decisions on next steps.

Related Keywords:

PostgreSQL, log shipping, PITR, SLONY, debian package releases, Debian
GNU/Linux, Perl, SQL, python, C, uniform access rights, PgFouine, query
playback, PgBouncer, PgPool, WalMgr, pg_standby, database proxying,
PlProxy, DBA, Database Administrator, MySQL, open source database,
scripting, monitoring, logging, replication, SQL queries, relational
database, normalization, Linux, Unix, coding, Senior MySQL DBA

****

Many thanks in advance for your kind consideration.

Best regards, Greg

Greg Vargas, PHR

Hiring Consultant

Accolo, Inc.