Re: Minor performance improvements

From: "Stephen Denne" <Stephen(dot)Denne(at)datamail(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: "Kris Jurka" <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Minor performance improvements
Date: 2007-02-27 03:08:44
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I'm sad to say that I have not created any micro-benchmark tests, and unfortunately the improvements are very minor, and far overshadowed by the variability I get from my system.

My code wasn't even using Send(byte buf[], int off, int siz).

The portion of my application that I am testing is essentially doing bulk loading. I'm using PreparedStatement of insert SQL, a lot of setXXX() and addBatch() calls, and the occasional executeBatch().
Running in Java5, using jdbc driver 8.2.504.jdbc3 connecting to PostgreSQL 8.2.3 with about 40Gb data and indexes in it, all on WinXP.

The test ends up performing about 5200 inserts.

The improvement I do see (which prompted my email) is in fewer bytecodes being used to perform the same functionality.

Adding profiling in to such small methods also results in a larger impact (I'm using YourKit Java Profiler).

That said... this implementation was about 30% faster over about 88,000 calls:

public void SendInteger4(int val) throws IOException
{
pg_output.write(val >> 24);
pg_output.write(val >> 16);
pg_output.write(val >> 8);
pg_output.write(val);
}

SendInteger2 was similarly improved.

These changes meant that SendChar usage was reduced from about 560,000 calls to about 40,000, making it difficult to measure the time saved by removing the double up of the int to byte conversion.

Interesting thought about using _int4buf, and it took me a while to make up my mind whether it would be faster or not (using the "Java Puzzlers" technique of deciding what I think some code would do before testing my assertions).

I think the difference in the overall work you are doing is that you are adding a buffer to buffer copy. Why write the values to _int4buf if you can write them into BufferedOutputStream's buffer? Most of the time you won't be going beyond the end of the buffer, so in general you'd be replacing three method calls with a call to System.arraycopy, which while extemely fast, I think would be slower than not calling it at all.

Regards,
Stephen Denne.