Re: What process clears the logs?

From: Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
To: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What process clears the logs?
Date: 2008-09-30 21:33:44
Lists: pgsql-admin

Ah-h-h, that's exactly my question. What part of Postgres "takes
care of this itself." I'm asking because I had 86 pg_clog files
dated back to mid-May. I got the impression from something Tom said
that backups should prune this directory. Perhaps my "impression"
was wrong. Most databases I've used in the past have gotten rid of
the transaction logs, etc, when a backup is done. The restore process
used that last backup and then applied the transaction logs to it.
Once another backup was completed the old transaction logs were no
longer needed. I'm trying to understand what happens "under the
hood" so to speak. What checkpoint_settings value are you referring to?

Thanks,
Carol