Re: Interface for pg_autovacuum

From: "Jim Nasby" <jim(dot)nasby(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, "PGSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Interface for pg_autovacuum
Date: 2006-12-22 05:16:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Dec 21, 2006, at 1:28 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Jim Nasby wrote:
>> How about...
>>
>> ALTER TABLE ...
>> ALTER AUTOVACUUM [ THRESHOLD | SCALE | COST DELAY | COST LIMIT ]
>> ALTER AUTOANALYZE [ THRESHOLD | SCALE ]
>
> Given these remarks from Tom:
>
>> Where we are currently at is experimenting to find
>> out what autovacuum's control knobs ought to be. The catalog
>> table was
>> a suitably low-effort way to expose a first cut at the knobs.
>
> doesn't making language level changes seem more than somewhat
> premature? Or have we finished experimenting?

Well, the only one I could possibly see removing would be threshold,
but the reality is that these parameters have been kicking around
since 7.4, so...

But I do like Richard Huxton's suggestion for syntax... that looks a
lot more flexible than what I proposed.

The only other thought that comes to mind is that such syntax will
make it a *lot* more verbose to set all the options for a table. But
I don't know how often people feel the need to set *all* of them at
once... Still, it might be worth continuing to support people poking
values directly into the table; I just don't think we want to make
that the official interface.
--
Jim Nasby jim(dot)nasby(at)enterprisedb(dot)com