Re: Postmaster.pid & Unix domain socket errors, OS X

From: Jens Eliasson <for17(at)mac(dot)com>
To: David Haines <dhaines1(at)attbi(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postmaster.pid & Unix domain socket errors, OS X
Date: 2003-03-29 08:32:05
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi David,
Sorry for my slow response, I don't check in on the list messages every
day. I'm surprised nobody have replied.

We also use pgSQL on Mac OS X, 10.2.4. I do hope you use the build made
by Marc Liyanage, that is easiest found on versiontracker.com. Go to
the developer's site referenced on versiontracker, there you will find
splendid instructions.

With version 7.3 we have not experienced any problems that you
describe, on any of three diffferent computer.

But with 7.3.2, which I run on one machine I did have a problem like
the one you describe.

2003-03-17, 03.43 David Haines wrote:
> I've checked the archives at
> And Apple's documentation at
> http://developer.apple.com/internet/macosx/postgres.html
> And the article at www.macdevcenter.com, as well as the available info
> at
> Techdocs.postgresql.org
>
> I have successfully installed PostgreSQL 7.3 for Mac OS X (10.2.4) and
> can
> successfully start postgresql - it returns the message "postmaster
> successfully started."
The return message in the terminal is unsufficient, in Process Viewer
you should three processes with the name "Postgres" when it is started
alright, you may have to use some other tool or log in as Postgres if
you run pg like that (postgres user). If not, look in the postgres
logfile where the cause of the unsuccessful start probably is well
explained. (Make sure that you initiate logging in your startup call.)

Since I only use pg for development purposes locally, I run it in my
own user-session which I find more convenient, even though that may be
unsafe.

In the case of 7.3.2 it was the "LC_TIME" option in the postgresql.conf
that caused the failed startup for me. According to the documentation
LC_TIME is not yet in effect, but should load its locale value. I
fidgeted with it for a while, but I only got pg to run OK by
"commenting" it (#).

I hope this gives you some help.

/ Jens Eliasson <jens(at)headlong(dot)se> @ Headlong Development AB,
Stockholm, Sweden