Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =

From: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =
Date: 2004-08-23 21:46:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On Aug 23, 2004, at 2:25 PM, Ian Barwick wrote:

> I don't know what the problem is, but you might want to check the
> client encoding settings, and the encoding your characters are
> arriving in (remembering all the time, in Postgres "UNICODE" really
> means UTF-8).
>
> If you're using Perl (I'm guessing this is Bricolage-related) the
> "_utf8_on"-ness of strings might be worth checking too, and also the
> "pg_enable_utf8" flag in DBD::Pg.

Bricolage is getting all its content at UTF-8. It has been working
beautifully for some time. I tried setting the utf8 flag on the
variable passed to the query, but it made no difference.

I think that LIKE is doing the right thing, and = is not. And I need to
find out how to get = to do the right thing. If I need to dump my
database and run initdb to use C for LC_COLLATE, the, feh, I will.
Right now I have:

LC_COLLATE: en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8

Regards,