Re: New libpq driver snapshot

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Miguel Juan" <mjuan(at)cibal(dot)es>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New libpq driver snapshot
Date: 2005-08-12 13:55:37
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi Miguel,

[Using Borland SQL Explorer]

I've looked into this, and as far as I can tell, the driver is doing
everything correctly.

When you view the table contents using SELECT * FROM gdcolas, SQL
Explorer basically does the following:

- Executes the query using SQLExecDirectW
- Looks at the columns using SQLDescribeColW, and for two columns sees
SQL_C_Wxxx types.
- Binds to all columns using SQLBindCol
- Fetches data using SQLExtendedFetch, in SQL_C_CHAR format (which the
driver duly converts and supplies)

At which point it then appears to ignore the Unicode columns entirely.

When you simply view the data in the table, it does it in exactly the
same way *except* it doesn't execute SQLDescribeColW to describe the
columns first.

It seems to me like it is intentionally not displaying the Unicode
columns, even though it has retrieved them as C strings. If it doesn't
realise they're Unicode (because it didn't check first), it happily
displays them.

Unfortunately this means one of two things; either there is a bug in SQL
Explorer, or, the driver is doing something so subtly wrong that I just
can't see it. Either way, I don't think there's much else I can do I'm
afraid. Perhaps one of the guys from Pervasive has an idea??

Regards, Dave.