External help sites

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: External help sites
Date: 2005-05-25 14:13:46
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

I've just been cleaning up the help system a little after getting
annoyed by occasional 404 errors. That's done and committed, however
when I tested the external help (ie. Where you specify a URL to retrive
the PostgreSQL docs from, instead of the local CHM file), I found a
couple of problems. First, the browser is hopelessly inadequate - try
setting your SQL help site to
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/ for a demo of this (and
try clicking a few links as well) - and secondly, it only seems to get
used when the help option is selected from a properties dialogue, not
from anywhere else.

The second problem is relatively easy to fix of course, however the
first is not. I'm inclined to remove the 'SQL help site' option entirely
as I don't think it has much value and I seriously doubt many, if any
people use it. Finally, we're updating the docs fairly regularly now
anyway to ship with pgInstaller, so it's not like people can't get an
update chm file if they want it.

Comments or objections?

Regards, Dave.