Re: psql & readline & win32

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql & readline & win32
Date: 2006-01-02 08:29:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org on behalf of Andrew Dunstan
Sent: Sun 1/1/2006 11:51 PM
To: Magnus Hagander
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] psql & readline & win32

> >4) Can we ship linked with readline in the installer?
> > If not, can we ship a readline-linked binary at all,
> > or just the source? Considering readline drags along
> > the GPL, and not just the LGPL. (We can link either
> > statically (default) or dynamically (separate package)
> > to readline without problems, from what I can tell)

> This has been debated ad nauseam in the past. The consensus,
> bar a few people with more advanced paranoia than I suffer
> from, is that we can ;-)

The installer is a little different though, in that we would have to actually ship readline as part of the distro, as it's unlikely to be pre-installed on the OS. At best we would have to start shipping it's source as well, at worst it would make everything else in the package that uses it GPL as well.

IANAL of course, but my self preservation instincts tell me to err on the side of caution.

Regards, Dave