Re: New ftp layout

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Troels Arvin" <troels(at)arvin(dot)dk>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New ftp layout
Date: 2004-12-03 14:27:50
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

I'd rather not do that, as following that logic we may end up with
umpteen copies of the same file. There's also the disk/bandwidth
overhead of around 80 mirror sites to consider, and the fact that it
implies there is a difference between the packages.

> 2. I suggest that CURRENT_MAINTAINER files be added
> in the RPM-directories. The files should -
> apart from our names, etc. - contain a link to
> the relevant public key of the packager, i.e.
> http://troels.arvin.dk/pgp/
> or
> http://www.gunduz.org/devrimgunduz.pgp.pub

Yup, I just haven't got around to that yet (I only added them to the
existing layout a couple of days ago).

> What about when we release updated binary packages which are
> not due to updated pgadmin3 releases? I suggest that the RPM
> directories only contain one RPM file each, i.e. the latest
> one, and that older RPM releases be moved somewhere, like in
> release/v1.2.0/fc1/old.

No, because that can cause significant rsync traffic as the mirrors
delete the moved files, and then download them again. Moving files
shouldn't be taken lightly on large mirror networks :-). I dread to
think what effect this change is going to have on svr4.postgresql.org as
it is!!

> Another thought should probably go to how to become
> yum/apt-friendly with regard to the RPMs. I don't currently
> have a suggestion, but may return with a suggestion later.

OK, look forward to it. The closest we have so far is the debian stuff
of course - Raphael might be able to provide some pointers on that.

Regards, Dave.