Re: [BUGS] postgresql 8.0b1 Win32 observations

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, "Justin Wyer" <justin(at)isogo(dot)co(dot)za>, "postgresql" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] postgresql 8.0b1 Win32 observations
Date: 2004-08-23 08:22:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

No, but anyone running on FAT already knows that. Our concern is making
sure that PostgreSQL cannot be used as an attack route, and ensuring
that data is stored reliably. Anything beyond that is starting to become
intrusive imo.

> Oh, and losing entire .EXE's *does* happen on FAT. I've seen
> directories that themselves were touched only by read-only
> operations lose files on FAT (not during normal operation,
> but in case of a crash something can apparantly hapepn). But
> the security part is the main reason for me.

Yes, I don't deny it can happen. All I'm saying is that if it does, then
there are probably more pressing failures such as a disk failure just
around the corner.

Regards, Dave.