Re: SUN Studio 11 vs pgAdmin - code cleanup]

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SUN Studio 11 vs pgAdmin - code cleanup]
Date: 2006-08-03 14:46:00
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Thanks.

> The problem what I have is that when I set CC and CXX environment
> variable to Sun Studio compilers, configure generates Makefile which
> contains wrong compiler switches (-Wall ...). I must manually change
> makefile If I want to compile pgAdmin with Sun Studio. There is some
> problem with openssl library detection on solaris as well.

OK, well I'll warn you up front that I'm not an automake/autoconf
*expert* so others on the list may have better ideas. I'm also going on
holiday for 2 weeks this weekend, so if I don't reply to you immediately
I'm not being rude :-)

At the moment most of the GCC flags are set in the Makefile.am files -
in particular we set

-Wall -Wno-non-virtual-dtor

I would look at moving that into the CLEANUP macro in acinclude.m4 (and
perhaps giving it a more suitable name), along with a conditional
alternative for the Sun compiler (if you check your config.log file,
hopefully you'll find a suitable variable to test for the compiler
name). I notice there are also a couple of other hacks at the end of
SETUP_WXWIDGETS (for Apple and Solaris) that could also move into that
macro.

I also notice that we setup CXXFLAGS and CFLAGS in the Makefile.am's
which we don't need at all - those lines can be removed from all the
Makefile.am's I guess.

When you've made changes to any of the Makefile.am's, acinclude.m4 or
configure.ac.in (in which you may need to update/add/remove and macro
names from acinclude.m4), just run the bootstrap script in $PGADMIN_SRC/
to regenerate everything, then run "./configure; make clean; make" to
test.

Regards, Dave.