Re: SVN Commit by dpage: r5179 - in trunk/pgadmin3: . src/frm

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SVN Commit by dpage: r5179 - in trunk/pgadmin3: . src/frm
Date: 2006-05-23 18:54:31
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

And are you honestly surprised I decided to ignore you? Let's review the
facts:

- A patch was supplied that added useful functionality, and
significantly increased the speed of the Query Tool.

- You objected to the speed increase changes because they weren't done
in the ideal way, but point-blank refused to explain what you did expect
to see. I committed on the grounds that it was an improvement, if not
the ultimate solution.

- You committed a patch that reimplemented the speed fixes but
completely broke the other functionality introduced in the patch which
you then dismissed as not being useful and did nothing to fix, despite
there clearly being people who did find it useful.

- A new patch was supplied restoring the functionality which you refused
to review for no reason other than it used the wxGrid.

- I reviewed the patch and found it to be of good quality, restoring the
broken functionality, without breaking your speed improvements. I
applied the patch.

- You objected to the new patch saying you hadn't yet reviewed it
(despite saying earlier you were not going to do so anyway), but *gave
no reasons whatsoever* why it should not have been applied other than
your own dislike of the wxGrid.

I'm sorry, but much as I appreciate the significant contributions you
have made to the project, I *will not* allow the community or the
project to suffer without good reason, just for the sake of what appears
to be nothing more than your dislike of a control.

<snip to VC 2005 stuff>

> Not the point,

So what is the point? I raised the issue before doing it and that was
the only concern you raised.

> and no reason to remove the VC6 project files.

Yes there is - the *nix makefiles often get forgotten when new files are
added, never mind having to deal with the maintenance of multiple
versions of "do not edit by hand" project files. It's not like people
are forced to use VC++ 6.0 now that 2005 is free.

Regards, Dave.