PostgreSQL on Solaris/SPARC with gcc

From: Horák Daniel <horak(at)sit(dot)plzen-city(dot)cz>
To: "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL on Solaris/SPARC with gcc
Date: 2000-03-01 16:01:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I have a report from compiling PostgreSQL 6.5.3 on Solaris/SPARC with gcc/ld
(it was not run by me, I was ask to help to solve this problem). Everything
goes OK (with template solaris_sparc_gcc autodetected when running
configure) but when trying to load plpgsql or other loaded module it woes
with

ERROR: Load of file /usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so failed: ld.so.1:
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster: fatal: relocation error: file
/usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so: symbol CurrentMemoryContext: referenced
symbol not found

it is caused by the fact that the symbol CurrentMemoryContext is not
exported from the main executable (postmaster). The solution is to use
"-export-dynamic" switch when linking postgres executable (it is used on
Linux).

I think it will require a new system specific makefile. The
Makefile.solaris_sparc is done for solaric_sparc_cc template. More details
can be send.

Dan

Daniel Horak
network and system administrator
e-mail: horak(at)sit(dot)plzen-city(dot)cz
privat e-mail: dan(dot)horak(at)email(dot)cz ICQ:36448176