RE: Re(2): optimize sql

From: Henry Lafleur <HLafleur(at)phoenixforge(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)fc(dot)emc(dot)com(dot)ph, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu
Subject: RE: Re(2): optimize sql
Date: 2000-07-27 13:15:17
Lists: pgsql-sql

If you know that 't' will always be the highest character in the active
field for all records:

SELECT name FROM office, office_application
WHERE code = office_code
GROUP BY name
HAVING MAX(active) < 't'

Of course, if you have an active that is 'z' for example, then this won't
work. I think this should work also regardless of max(active) for the table:

SELECT name FROM office, office_application
WHERE code = office_code AND active <= 't'
GROUP BY name
HAVING MAX(active) < 't'
UNION
SELECT name FROM office, office_application
WHERE code = office_code AND active >= 't'
GROUP BY name
HAVING MIN(active) > 't'

Henry