Re: ODBC Problem

From: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "murillomarco(at)sigmahn(dot)com" <murillomarco(at)sigmahn(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ODBC Problem
Date: 2010-10-23 03:03:17
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On Oct 22, 2010, at 5:48 PM, murillomarco(at)sigmahn(dot)com wrote:

> The error reads something like this:
> Error Message:1526
> Connectivity Error:[Microsoft][Controller Administrator ODBC]
> Data Source name not found and no predetermined controller was specified.
>
> The string I'm sending to the server contains:
> "DRIVER={PostgreSQL
> ANSI};SERVER=localhost;port=5432:DATABASE=cabletv;UID=cabletvusr;PWD=pcabletvsuperg;"

I'm going to give my best guess. There were times when I upgraded the odbc driver where the driver name changes between versions. Applications like ms-access and excel will store odbc connection properties in the registry. Since the driver names changed, all of existing data sources connections would fail with an error message very similar to the one your getting.

By driver name I mean: DRIVER={PostgreSQL ANSI};

To fix the problem, I needed to find the affected pre-existing registry entries to update the driver name to match the name of the newly installed driver.

On a side note, why do you use the ANSI driver instead of the Unicode driver?

Sent from my iPod