RE: ODBC 7.0006 bugs

From: "Henshall, Stuart - WCP" <SHenshall(at)westcountrypublications(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'David Ciarniello'" <brainlost(at)rocketmail(dot)com>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: ODBC 7.0006 bugs
Date: 2001-07-06 08:59:55
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hello,
1) Could be the Jet query handler is throwing up over this. Try as a
pass through query
2) This is so that Access can tell wether some one else has altered
the record you are working on. If you don't use row versioning it needs to
look to see if any fields have changed (which creates the problem you
described). Also Access can be a bit funny about text/memo fields.
3) I can see you're point. However I tend not to use DSN's but
rather connection strings so its helpful to be able to turn on logging with
out editing the program.
4) Are you using Jet for this? Select 'Hello World'; works fine in
psql.It also works just fine in Access query builder (although select 'hello
world'::text doesn't). How are you entering this query? Also I believe
typecasting by ::text is a Postgresism. I think the SQL'92 way is
CAST('Hello World' AS text). Neither works with Access queries (AFAIK). In
Access something like CStr('Hello World') uses the VB string conversion
routine and should be applicable most places (NOT pass through queries
though).
5) I disagree. If I'm having problems connecting I want to see all
the options in the connection string. Don't log when you're not debugging,
it slows everything down.
- Stuart