RE: Very urgent

From: "Henshall, Stuart - WCP" <SHenshall(at)westcountrypublications(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Gautam Sinha'" <gsinha(at)npi(dot)stpn(dot)soft(dot)net>
Cc: "'pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Very urgent
Date: 2001-06-14 14:53:18
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hello,
Until very recently cygwin didn't come with pre-compiled binaries so
it always had to be compiled from the source tarball (not the cygwin-src
one, the one on the postgresql site). There are still reasons you might want
to compile from source (eg: different compile options, or altering namelen).
The close naming of the cygwin binaries and the main source tarball does
seem a shade confusing (only difference is one dot is a dash in cygwin
binary distro), but they are talking about the same program and version so
maybe not so strange.
Also if you're using the binaries the .bahsrc they show will be
wrong (maybe some one who knows the binary setup can say where things are
located).
I havn't tried it, but I wouldn't have thought it to be a good idea
to have to copies of the postgresql system (although you can have any number
of data directories). Therefore either use the cygwin binaries (preferably
through cygwin setup) or get the main tarbal and build yourself (not to
tricky) but not both.
Also the claim made:
9. initdb
Note that the owner of the DB system have to be different from
root/administrator
doesn't appear to be true for windows (I've run it as administrator
before now). Just good practice.
Have cc'd pgsql-cygwin to see if anyone there can help you as well,
and also so that any one else facing you problems can find this in the
archives.
- Stuart