RE: Wierd ODBC access issue

From: "Henshall, Stuart - WCP" <SHenshall(at)westcountrypublications(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'radius'" <radius(at)codegrinder(dot)com>, "Henshall, Stuart - WCP" <SHenshall(at)westcountrypublications(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: Wierd ODBC access issue
Date: 2001-05-29 12:49:29
Lists: pgsql-odbc

You could use pass through queries, but the editing of table design
doesn't seem to be one of PG's hotpoints. Generally its easier to drop and
recreate (which you can do using pass-throught queries. If you want to
preserve data then you'd have to create the new table, insert stuff from the
old. drop the old and then rename the new table (that should work, although
it might lead to problems with pgsql user functions that reference the
table).
The way I normally set my tables, etc.. up is to use a psql script
(I have cygwin installed on my development machine). I've just had a thought
about you're write problem. You're not using ADO recordsets are you? MS
seems to be trying to push this but only SQL Server using datashape seems
able to use ADO from MS Access (I use DAO, the normal default for MS
Access).
For a slightly easier way of designing tables there's PGAdmin on
windows and PG-Access in Linux (using tcl).
I think there is a FAQ on http://techdocs.postgresql.org about MS
Access and one on odbc on http://odbc.postgresql.org
You might just have to play around to find settings that work (I'm
assuming that you're using 7.01.0005 of the odbc driver). (Quick note I tend
to use row versioning as this seems to help MS Access not get confused about
wether someone else has edited a row or not).
- Stuart
P.S. if you use pass through queries for getting recordsets then they will
be dbsnapshot.