BUG #7511: 9.2: pg_stat_activity.procpid renamed unnecessarily

From: i(at)avdd(dot)co
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #7511: 9.2: pg_stat_activity.procpid renamed unnecessarily
Date: 2012-08-30 04:34:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 7511
Logged by: Adrian Dries
Email address: i(at)avdd(dot)co
PostgreSQL version: Unsupported/Unknown
Operating system: any

In trying 9.2 I find pg_stat_activity.procpid has been renamed to pid.

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=4f42b546fd87a80be30c53a0f2c897acb826ad52

It seems the premise of this is

If we're going to rename current_query to query--what Scott's patch does
here--that will force all code using pg_stat_activity to be rewritten. This
seems like the perfect time to also change "procpid" to "pid", finally blow
away that wart.

A premise that is untrue: changing a subset of columns on a relation does
not force "all code" using that relation to be rewritten:

SELECT procpid FROM pg_stat_activity WHERE procpid <> pg_backend_pid()