pgsql: Avoid somewhat-theoretical overflow risks in RecordIsValid().

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql: Avoid somewhat-theoretical overflow risks in RecordIsValid().
Date: 2012-08-21 22:42:02
Lists: pgsql-committers

Avoid somewhat-theoretical overflow risks in RecordIsValid().

This improves on commit 51fed14d73ed3acd2282b531fb1396877e44e86a by
eliminating the assumption that we can form <some pointer value> +
<some offset> without overflow. The entire point of those tests is that
we don't trust the offset value, so coding them in a way that could wrap
around if the buffer happens to be near the top of memory doesn't seem
sound. Instead, track the remaining space as a size_t variable and
compare offsets against that.

Also, improve comment about why we need the extra early check on
xl_tot_len.

Branch
------
master