pgsql: Adjust join_search_one_level's handling of clauseless joins.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql: Adjust join_search_one_level's handling of clauseless joins.
Date: 2012-04-21 00:11:48
Lists: pgsql-committers

Adjust join_search_one_level's handling of clauseless joins.

For an initial relation that lacks any join clauses (that is, it has to be
cartesian-product-joined to the rest of the query), we considered only
cartesian joins with initial rels appearing later in the initial-relations
list. This creates an undesirable dependency on FROM-list order. We would
never fail to find a plan, but perhaps we might not find the best available
plan. Noted while discussing the logic with Amit Kapila.

Improve the comments a bit in this area, too.

Arguably this is a bug fix, but given the lack of complaints from the
field I'll refrain from back-patching.

Branch
------
master