oid or without oid ...

From: Raimon Fernandez <coder(at)montx(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: oid or without oid ...
Date: 2007-05-22 07:30:34
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello again,

In my previous databases development, I've been using always a unique
longint number for identifying each record.

In PostgreSQL I can see that it has the oid, he can do it for you.

Also I see that is an optional parameter, and after surfing the web,
I could find some people that say never use them, an another ones
that you can use it ...

Any extra advice would be perfectly before creating the database, if
it's better for now and future to use oid or simply create an id
field as a serial or something similar.

thanks,

raimon fernandez