Re: Migration from MS SQL 2K

From: "Roger Hand" <RHand(at)kailea(dot)com>
To: "TheNice Spider" <thenicespider(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Migration from MS SQL 2K
Date: 2005-09-29 06:07:13
Lists: pgsql-general

PGAdmin II had a "Migration Wizard" plugin that did a great job. I used it a lot to convert MS SQL 7 and 2000 db's to Postgres 7.x.

It did not convert views, but I wrote some code that did that.

Unfortunately, PGAdmin II doesn't work with PG 8.

And PGAdmin III doesn't have the Migration Wizard plugin, at least it didn't the last I checked.

So ... you could use PGAdmin II and the Migration Wizard to convert to Postgres 7.x.

Then dump the db, and import into PG 8.

Or course, there may be more sophisticated (and possible $$) software that will do what you want more simply.

-Roger