Re: Large difference between elapsed time and run time

From: Nikk Anderson <Nikk(dot)Anderson(at)parallel(dot)ltd(dot)uk>
To: "'Jeffrey D(dot) Brower'" <jeff(at)pointhere(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Large difference between elapsed time and run time
Date: 2003-03-11 14:30:45
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey D. Brower [mailto:jeff(at)pointhere(dot)net]
Sent: 11 March 2003 14:24
To: Nikk Anderson; 'Scott Buchan'; pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org

>My question is how are you accomplishing the connection pooling?

I have programmed a connection pool in Java - I am sure something similar is possible in most other languages.

Very basically, the concept is as follows:

> Application initialisation
>>> 1) Create X number of connections to the database
>>> 2) Store connections in an Object
>>> 3) Create an array of free and busy connections - put all new connections in free connection array
>>> 4) Object is visible to all components of web application

> Request for a connection
>>> 4) Code asks for a connection from the pool object (3).
>>> 5) Pool object moves connection from free array, to the busy array.
>>> 5) Connection is used to do queries
>>> 6) Connection is sent back to pool object (3).
>>> 7) Pool object moves the connection from the busy array, back to the free array

I hope that helps!

Nikk