Re: Terrible performance on wide selects

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Steve Crawford" <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Terrible performance on wide selects
Date: 2003-01-23 00:06:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Why not waste a bit of memory and make the row buffer the maximum
possible length?
E.g. for varchar(2000) allocate 2000 characters + size element and point
to the start of that thing.

If we have 64K rows, even at that it is a pittance. If someone designs
10,000 row tables, then it will allocate an annoyingly large block of
memory, but bad designs are always going to cause a fuss.