Re: BUG #4274: uuid returns duplicate values

From: "Eric P(dot) Melbardis" <eric(dot)melbardis(at)netkitsolutions(dot)com>
To: Hiroshi Saito <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Nicolas ANTONINI <nicolas(dot)antonini(at)mnm-consulting(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #4274: uuid returns duplicate values
Date: 2008-08-23 17:07:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi

Testing on my home system, looking good... will try on my office system Monday.

Note:
I am assuming that the uuid will mostly be used as a primary key on records that will exist in replicated databases to guarantee uniqueness. The problem that is see with the current uuid functions for this purpose is that the generated uuid is very random causing great performance issues with the index; at least when using oracle and ms sql server, did not try with postgres, but must be similar. Usually inserting random data into an index of any kind is a worst case stress test. Hence the older style of uuid, based on mac addresses and time tend to generate more sequential uuid's, at least when inserting a bunch of records at once.

In other words it would be nice to have the old fashioned style of uuid's.

Regards

Eric