Re: [PERFORM] A Better External Sort?

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Ron Peacetree" <rjpeace(at)earthlink(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] A Better External Sort?
Date: 2005-09-26 21:13:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

If you can achieve that, I think you should be given a Nobel Prize, and
I mean that sincerely. I also think that your analysis is interesting.

> and we want
> to avoid seeking more than the critical number of seeks implied above
> when doing it. It also suggests that at a minimum, it's worth it to
> spend ~8 memory operations or ~64 CPU operations to avoid a HD access.
> Far more than that if we are talking about a single random access.
>
> It's worth spending ~128 CPU operations to avoid a single random RAM
> access, and literally 10's or even 100's of thousands of CPU
operations to
> avoid a random HD access. In addition, there are many indications in
> current ECE and IT literature that the performance gaps between these
> pieces of computer systems are increasing and expected to continue to
do
> so for the forseeable future. In short, _internal_ sorts have some,
and
> are
> going to increasingly have more, of the same IO problems usually
> associated with external sorts.

Knuth has made the observation (confirmed by others) that 40% of
mainframe CPU cycles are spent on sorting. Hence, any sort of
optimization in this area is a potential for enormous savings.

> Part II: a Suggested Algorithm
> The simplest case is one where we have to order the data using a key
that
> only has two values.

I suggest testing against a very large class of distributions. All of
the common statistical models are a start (Gaussian, Poisson, etc.) and
also single value, two distinct values, to some limit.

> Given 2^40B of data using 2KB or 4KB per record, the most compact
> representation we can make of such a data set is to assign a 32b= 4B
RID
> or Rptr for location + a 1b key for each record. Just the RID's would
> take up
> 1.25GB (250M records) or 2.5GB (500M records). Enough space that even
> an implied ordering of records may not fit into RAM.
>
> Still, sorting 1.25GB or 2.5GB of RIDs is considerably less expensive
in
> terms
> of IO operations than sorting the actual 1TB of data.
>
> That IO cost can be lowered even further if instead of actually
physically
> sorting the RIDs, we assign a RID to the appropriate catagory inside
the
> CPU
> as we scan the data set and append the entries in a catagory from CPU
> cache
> to a RAM file in one IO burst whenever said catagory gets full inside
the
> CPU.
> We can do the same with either RAM file to HD whenever they get full.
The
> sorted order of the data is found by concatenating the appropriate
files
> at the
> end of the process.
>
> As simple as this example is, it has many of the characteristics we
are
> looking for:
> A= We access each piece of data once on HD and in RAM.
> B= We do the minimum amount of RAM and HD IO, and almost no random IO
in
> either case.
> C= We do as much work as possible within the CPU.
> D= This process is stable. Equal keys stay in the original order they
are
> encountered.
>
> To generalize this method, we first need our 1b Key to become a
> sufficiently large
> enough Key or KeyPrefix to be useful, yet not so big as to be CPU
cache
> unfriendly.
>
> Cache lines (also sometimes called "blocks") are usually 64B= 512b in
> size.
> Therefore our RID+Key or KeyPrefix should never be larger than this.
For
> a 2^40B
> data set, a 5B RID leaves us with potentially as much as 59B of Key or
> KeyPrefix.
> Since the data can't take on more than 40b worth different values
> (actually 500M= 29b
> for our example), we have more than adequate space for Key or
KeyPrefix.
> We just
> have to figure out how to use it effectively.
> A typical CPU L2 cache can hold 10's or 100's of thousands of such
cache
> lines.
> That's enough that we should be able to do a significant amount of
useful
> work within
> the CPU w/o having to go off-die.
>
> The data structure we are using to represent the sorted data also
needs to
> be
> generalized. We want a space efficient DS that allows us to find any
> given element in
> as few accesses as possible and that allows us to insert new elements
or
> reorganize
> the DS as efficiently as possible. This being a DB discussion list, a
B+
> tree seems like
> a fairly obvious suggestion ;-)
>
> A B+ tree where each element is no larger than a cache line and no
node is
> larger than
> what fits into L2 cache can be created dynamically as we scan the data
set
> via any of
> the fast, low IO methods well known for doing so. Since the L2 cache
can
> hold 10's of
> thousands of cache lines, it should be easy to make sure that the B+
tree
> has something
> like 1000 elements per node (making the base of the logarithm for
access
> being at least
> 1000). The log base 1000 of 500M is ~2.9, so that means that even in
the
> absolute
> worst case where every one of the 500M records is unique we can find
any
> given
> element in less than 3 accesses of the B+ tree. Increasing the order
of
> the B+ tree is
> an option to reduce average accesses even further.
>
> Since the DS representing the sorted order of the data is a B+ tree,
it's
> very "IO friendly"
> if we need to store part or all of it on HD.
>
> In an multiprocessor environment, we can assign chunks of the data set
> different
> CPUs, let them build their independant B+ trees to represent the data
in
> sorted order from
> their POV, and then merge the B+ trees very efficiently into one
overall
> DS to represent
> the sorted order of the entire data set.
>
> Finally, since these are B+ trees, we can keep them around and easily
> update them at will
> for frequent used sorting conditions.
>
> What do people think?

I think that your analysis is very interesting. I would like to see the
result of the experiment.

I think that the btrees are going to be O(n*log(n)) in construction of
the indexes in disk access unless you memory map them [which means you
would need stupendous memory volume] and so I cannot say that I really
understand your idea yet. Can you draw a picture of it for me? (I am
dyslexic and understand things far better when I can visualize it).