Re: make dist using git archive

From: "Tristan Partin" <tristan(at)neon(dot)tech>
To: "Andres Freund" <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: make dist using git archive
Date: 2024-03-26 14:26:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue Mar 26, 2024 at 2:56 AM CDT, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2024-03-26 08:36:58 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > >
> > > This triggered a new warning for me:
> > >
> > > ../../../../../home/andres/src/postgresql/meson.build:3422: WARNING: Project targets '>=0.54' but uses feature introduced in '0.55.0': Passing executable/found program object to script parameter of add_dist_script.
> >
> > Hmm, I don't see that. Is there another version dependency that controls
> > when you see version dependency warnings? ;-)
>
> Sometimes an incompatibility is later noticed and a warning is introduced at
> that point.
>
> > We could trivially remove this particular line, or perhaps put a
> >
> > if meson.version().version_compare('>=0.55')
> >
> > around it. (But would that still warn?)
>
> It shouldn't, no. As long as the code is actually executed within the check,
> it avoids the warning. However if you just set a variable inside the version
> gated block and then later use the variable outside that, it will
> warn. Probably hard to avoid...

The following change also makes the warning go away, but the version
comparison seems better to me due to how we choose not to use machine
files for overriding programs[0]. :(

- meson.add_dist_script(perl, ...)
+ meson.add_dist_script('perl', ...)

Aside, but I think since we dropped AIX, we can bump the required Meson
version. My last analysis of the situation told me that the AIX
buildfarm animals were the only machines which didn't have a Python
version capable of running a newer version. I would need to look at the
situation again though.

[0]: If someone wants to make a plea here:
https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/pull/12623

--
Tristan Partin
Neon (https://neon.tech)