First Time Starting Up PostgreSQL and Having Problems

From: Brent Bates <BBates(at)langleyfcu(dot)org>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: First Time Starting Up PostgreSQL and Having Problems
Date: 2019-06-19 19:31:56
Lists: pgsql-general

I've done a lot of Google searching and PostgreSQL archive searching and can't seem to figure out why I'm having problems.

This is a first time install of PostgreSQL version 11.3 on a CentOS server running release 7.6.1810. I've just finished setting up the postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf files and am trying to start up PostgreSQL for the first time. I'm getting errors no matter what I try. My first attempt resulted in errors that look like the following:

syntax error in file "/var/lib/pgsql/11/data/pg_hba.conf" line 84, near token "all"

I received this error for every configuration line that wasn't a comment. The "all" is in the USER column. No matter what I put in the USER column, I get the same error, but listing whatever string is in that column. I wandered if this error was just a result of a different error someplace else, so I commented out all lines in this file. That resulted in the following error:

FATAL: exceeded maxAllocatedDescs (16) while trying to open file "/var/lib/pgsql/11/data/pg_hba.conf"

I'm at a loss and don't know where to look next. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brent L. Bates - UNIX System Administrator Information Technology Department - Langley Federal Credit Union
11742 Jefferson Avenue
Suite 240
Newport News, VA 23606
Phone: (757) 848-5443, Mobile: (757) 419-0295

COMMUNICATION CONFIDENTIALITY: All information in this communication, including attachments, is strictly confidential and intended solely for delivery to and authorized use by the addressee(s) identified above, and may contain privileged, confidential, proprietary and/or secret information entitled to protection and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy or delete this communication and any/all attached documents as the possession, distribution and/or copying of this communication is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please remove it in its entirety from your computer and notify the sender.